Saturday 11 August 2018

Top 31 NHL 2017-18 jerseys 20 to 11

Hi, Alan here at AJH HJA. Welcome to part 2 of my top 31 2017-18 NHL Season set. Let’s get to 20 to 11.

20. Minnesota Wild
Source: NHL Uniform Database
This set had potential written all over it but not digging the home jersey, but the road I like it since they replaced the old road jersey, but the red numbers hold the back from me loving it. The only thing that this set can make me put them on the top of my is using the old wild number font on both jerseys, there I said it ok I can’t help it I love them it fits this team good.

19. San Jose Sharks
Source: NHL Uniform Database
Another set transitioned to Adidas even with changes to the shoulder patch it just doesn’t help it at all period.

18.  Colorado Avalanche
Source: NHL Uniform Database
After 10 years the Avalanche finally brought back the mountain stripes at long last. I’m cool with the new font on numbers but the lack of trims makes it too plain for me. The  "C" from the Colorado state flag replaced the yeti foot logo was a bad move in my book. Overall great makeover but those two things kept me from putting these set on a higher rank for me.

17. Philadelphia Flyers
Source: NHL Uniform Database
A classic set being carried over to Adidas it’s a nice set and all, but I prefer their classic set from 1982 to 2007 (1982 to 2001 for the orange jersey) that would be awesome to see along with their black jersey they wore from 1997 to 2007 as a 3rd jersey that’s a winner right there and we don’t have to see those off-colour nameplates that had been an eye shore for me and everyone else too.

16. Vegas Golden Knights
Source: NHL Uniform Database
I’m surprised that they pulled off with steel grey as the team’s main colour it works mostly with the helmet. But I felt the red ruins the jerseys it’s just doesn’t work for me on the jerseys. If they move the black on the arms to the cuffs for the home, while move the steel grey on the arms to the cuffs on the road and I think we got a winner.

15. Dallas Stars
Source: NHL Uniform Database
Even thou I wasn’t a fan of this set at first but it kind of grew on me, however, if they would replace their shoulder patch with their Texas logo, and add black trims around the letters and numbers this one would be the best.

14. Edmonton Oilers
Source: NHL Uniform Database
I’m ok with orange as the team’s main colour, I’m ok with replacing royal blue with navy blue, but I’m “NOT” ok with the design on the arms, and the hem it looks lazy compared to their previous set. The only thing I can let it slide is the equipment it helps balance the colours out with ease. Overall if they kept the stripes from their previous set this one would be rank higher.

13. Vancouver Canucks
Source: NHL Uniform Database
Same good-looking set but three things that would get them on my top 10. 1. Remove the “Vancouver” wordmark off the jerseys. 2. Replace the whale with the updated stick in the rink logo. 3. On the home, they should use the team’s Reebok alternate jersey over the home jersey that they got. And you got what could be a perfect set.

12. Florida Panthers
Source: NHL Uniform Database
A chest stripe on just the front and none in the back is alright, if they brought back the leaping panther logo, move the patches to the shoulders, and place the numbers on the sleeves it would be an ok set.

11. New York Islanders
Source: NHL Uniform Database
This set would drop down lower but with adding blue trim around the logo on the road jersey made this set complete, but the history of poor jersey designs to a bad brand overshadows it. If they keep this set untouched to hopefully don’t screw up (more likely) with the 3rd I can see this set be in the top 10 in the future.

Well, there you go part 2 is in the books. Hopefully, I’ll try to get part 3 put together because it’s the hardest one yet to this date I mean these ten sets are nice all but I just can’t make my mind up on which one should be number ten to number one. So it ain’t easy but I’ll figure it out until then, later.

1 comment:

  1. Love the 2nd part of this all-31-team jersey review. But I have some points to agree or disagree a bit on each jersey set:

    a.) I do agree on the part that the Wild's old number font should be there, as well has having the double outline trim (i.e.: for white jersey: red numbers with green on outer trim & wheat tan [I think] on inner trim; for green jersey: wheat tan numbers with red on outer trim & green on inner trim); shades of their old jersey set:

    http://www.nhluniforms.com/Wild/Images/Wild01.png

    Just disregard the long shoulder yoke though and the rest would look fine if it should be re-tweaked.

    b.) I believe that the Sharks' set one of the most simple basic-looking jersey sets since the RBK Edge era debut of the Maple Leafs' set. I believe that sometimes tradtion should have a litte bit of modern flavor; like adding the font from the 99-00 set for the numbers & NOBs would look cool though, or remodify a bit on the sleeve design area. Although I won't mind the burnt orange, despite that I like when it had silver though.

    c.) I also love to see the mountain stripes back, even if it has just one stripe, compared to its original jersey set version with two (imagine if they had an alternate jersey based on that design, but with the royal blue in the central area and the maroon as the mountain stripes). Plus in my opinion, it was the sole reason that the Avalanche has had a successful run in their 1st almost 10 years (winning 2 cups & numerous conference finals). Although I can understand that the new number font is a solid move (but I agree that it needs outer & inner color trims), I always like the original number font before.

    d.) Although I don't mind the current jersey set that the Flyers provided based on its classic set, but I do agree with you on the fact the the most modern traditional set was the one from 1982-83 to 2006-07.

    http://nhluniforms.com/Flyers/Images/Flyers20.png

    However, I never seen an alternate white jersey version based on that design set (a.k.a. black shoulder yoke)

    e.) For the debut team like the Golden Knights, impressive run on its 1st season, despite falling short in the big one, its jersey set looks cool. But it would be better if the red wasn't involved much on the jersey per se, only just on its logo or such. For instance, the Wild has yellow, but it's not visibally seen on the jersey per se, just on its logo.

    f.) To me, the Stars' look is another basic set. But would be epic if it was the 1999 Stanley Cup jersey set, only substitute the gold with the silver. Also for the numbers, adding trims can help. Like on the white one, the green numbers have black outer & silver inner trims; and on the green one, either the black numbers have silver outer & white inner trims, or the white numbers have black outer & silver inner trims.

    g.) I kinda like the Oiler's orange jersey. But would love to see the navy blue version also, to make it similar to their mid-90's set, minus the orange-red & bronze-tan parts.

    h.) and j.) They look alright as they are. But for the Canucks' set, I agree on removing the wordmark. But I like the orca logo, as its been there since 1996-97, I believe. And for the Islanders' set, bring back the burnt orange-red & navy blue colors, but keep the design.

    i.) The Panthers' set looks fabulous. But if I was the tweaker, I prefer the chest stripe to go and put back the old leaping panther logo.

    ReplyDelete